Sunday, September 03, 2006

It Felt So Good to Be So Bad!

I was uncharacteristically restrained at the quilt show last week. It was inevitable I would crack under the pressure. Yesterday I fell into The Dangerous Quilt Shop—it was particularly chaotic a week after the quilt show—on the pretext of finding the Karen Stone book I saw at the show, but had foolishly thought I could get cheaper elsewhere. (It's good to support a LQS, right?)

I fell out with 5 yds. of brown marble for the background of the batik autumn leaves quilt I'm thinking about for Don, plus a couple more batiks to add to the group I've already gathered for the leaves. And 5 yds. of another batik that I'd coveted before the quilt show but had passed over, thinking I'd rather save the money for the show. Since nothing at the show rolled my socks up and down; and since the black batik had been whimpering for me since before the show; and since I couldn't find the bolt in the mess at The Dangerous Quilt Shop on my first reconnaissance (thereby making me desperate to find it!); and since on the third or fourth circuit I found it hiding in a corner, out of place (whatever that means in that place), I knew it was waiting for me to take it home. Haven't a clue what I'll do with it yet, but I had to have it and some of its kissin' cousins that played so well with it. (So far, I'm just petting them like good children.)

Oh, yeah. I got the Karen Stone book too.

7 comments:

Rian said...

Oooh, yummy yummy. They're all beautiful, and I see you got some lovely background pastels--not easy to find, but that dotty one in the front just steals the show.

So does this mean there's a New York Beauty in your future?

Jane Ann said...

There IS a NYB in my future (or her Indian Orange Peel), but as much as anything I love Karen Stone's courage in her color choices. Scrappy can be vibrant, or it can be a busy mess (I tend toward the latter). I thought I could learn a little something from her design process.

The brights are actually more vivid than they look in the photo. I LOVE the polka dot and really don't want to chop it up too much. I was sort of thinking stars in the brights on the black background. Something vivid but a little simpler than what I usually do.

Anonymous said...

Rian & I both have NYBs in progress. I think we are due to work on them during Round 4 of the Pick 4 projects. I would love to have you join us! Once you get the hang of paperpiecing those points, the rest is very easy. Let me know and I'll work with you.

sophie said...

Those fabrics are luscious (and yea, I love the dotty one, too!) I wouldn't think of it as being bad, though, more like delayed gratification (for the fabrics you didn't find at the show.)

Jules said...

I love the polka dots. Ok, and everything else.

And a New York Beauty? Well, I love those quilts. Maybe when my kids are all grown up. In 19 years, you all will have to help me.

Tracey said...

Jane Ann...you are *definitely* my hero now. Not that there was question beforehand, mind you. YUMMY!! :o)

Patti said...

Enjoy the fruits of your retail therapy - you deserve it!