Monday, September 18, 2006

'Scuse Me While I Shift Gears

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I read about beautiful crazy quilts being made, socks being knitted, fabrics being dyed and photoprinted, and needlepoint being stitched by such multi-talented, multi-tasking quilters, I sometimes feel unproductive and envious of their time and talent. I don't say much about what I'm working on, but there's rarely an evening that I don't spend some time in the Sewing Palace, even if it's just straightening the joint up a bit.

For a while I've been making
sampler blocks for myself, adding a couple every week. I'm in no hurry, so it will evolve. The Winding Ways still has only one side of a border, but it too is evolving. The other quilts spinning in my brain and marked with sticky notes in books and magazines, all the cute new fabrics, will have to wait. Summer's coming to an end and my darlings need new duds.

Ella has loved wearing her blue batiste dress

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

that matches Baby Campbell's daygown

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

so much (and still loves wearing dresses, a phase that will ultimately wane), that I must shift gears now: get out the embroidery floss and start smocking!

Blue babywale corduroy will make a nice soft bishop-sleeve dress for her ("soft" is also a current requirement), and a snuggly bubble or John-John for him.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm not a fast smocker so I will be realistic about the scope of the smocking. Bishops are a little challenging for picture smocking and a wee babe won't bear a great big design either. So, barnyard or Noah's Ark? Either way, it will be a simplified version of the patterns I bought. Gotta get the garment pieces cut out and partially stitched together before having the pleats put in, which gives me a little time yet to mull it over.

So while others are industriously creating, I really am doing the same. It's just that my alternative needle stitches to a slightly different rhythm than those of my cyber friends.

7 comments:

jenclair said...

Jane Ann, I must have missed the story behind the sampler blocks, but loved the ones you have on flickr--especially #14 Thread Spools! Please tell more about the Life Sampler.

The baby things are so sweet. How can you possibly feel unproductive? I'm the one feeling distinctly "envious of time and talent"! And then the smocking...how precious is that?

Keep the Sewing Palace rockin', girl!

Jules said...

I don't think smocking clothes for the grandkids in unproductive. I love the things my mother sends me. I sometimes even buy all the fabric and plate and send it to her to make.

I like both the farm and Noah's Ark. My mom made one of my sons a Noah's Ark outfit with a less complicated plate. Looking at it, I think it might be Little Memories. If you want, when she gets back from her trip I can ask her to see what it is.

Rian said...

My darling Jane Ann, we can't all be as prolific as [insert name here]. Sewing clothes for grandchildren and making sampler blocks are just as important as anything else. As are doing laundry, making dinner, changing diapers, and everything else we (as women) do. WiP Wednesday is not a proving ground. If all I do in a week is select thread colors, well then, that's what I did.

And if you're feeling like you may not measure up, please take note that the person who started this endeavor has not had any progress to report since its inception.

Jane Ann said...

jenclair, thanks for the kind words. I like samplers (as I suppose many beginners do), and the names of blocks evoke such imagery that I can't help identifying with many of them. (When I first saw "Contrary Wife" I laughed out loud!) It's hard to choose which blocks to include in a sampler, so I focused on some that have personal meaning, as well as some I just like.

Jules, I know you know your smocking when you say "plate" instead of "pattern" as I did in my post, for those who might not understand that--for some reason--smocking patterns are called plates. I decided on Noah because Ella gets linked with elephants and Campbell gets linked with camels, and there is one of each on that plate. I started on his insert last night, and showed her the partially assembled dress and plate. She loves it already and said, "Fank you, Mam." Leslie is very appreciative--these little togs cost upwards of $90 in the shops.

And, Rian, I came to the pleasure of sewing so late in life, that I guess I will always feel I'm playing catch-up. I'm slow and awkward about much of what I do, partly because my perfectionist streak requires me to do lots of reverse stitching! I am so awed by the things all you gals create and often feel slow and plodding, that's all. Some weeks all I can get to is petting the fabrics or carpet-sweeping up the scraps. But I love it all, and I'm honored to be in such swell company as this bunch.

I am only competitive with myself, and Jenny reminded me it isn't a contest. But my "Sew, very old one; sew like the wind!" plaque is more than just a funny accessory in the Sewing Palace. It really is my mantra.

Joyce said...

THe baby dress is so cute. I have never tried smocking but admire anyone who can do it. Is there anything more rewarding than sewing for baby grandchildren. Mine are mostly teenagers now and a lot more fussy about styles. Hence, quilting.

Anonymous said...

I am not thrilled that bloglines didn't pick up your post earlier. Bah, humbug!

I adore smocking and as far as I am concerned, I like it when my cyberbuddies post about all kinds of needlearts. I find that much more interesting and stimulating than always talking about quilting. While I love quilting, I did other needlearts way before quilting. Please continue to share with us!

Jane Ann said...

Debra: Read on, sweet friend.