Monday, January 23, 2006

Week 9 - Check-In

"A productive artist is quite often a happy person." p. 154

1. Morning notes have morphed into evening notes and I could swear I did them 7/7, but since I can only find 6, I'll own up to 6/7. (One of those was 4 paragraphs before my eyes literally closed over my poised pen!) I find the notes helpful and so far don't see that changing to evening has altered the benefit.

Week 9 was an introspective week for me. I'm finding less and less to relate to in Julia Cameron's essays. I cannot find any U-turns or blocks to creativity, and I do not think my goal in undertaking this study is the same as hers. That said, I found Tasks #1 and #3 to be the sparks for some introspection (more below).

2. I didn't really do any artist date last week, unless indulging myself in 7 straight hours in my beloved new studio yesterday counts! We had heavy rains ALL DAY long yesterday (even lightening last night!), so it was a perfect day for DH to park himself in front of NFL play-off games and for me to high-tail it to my studio. I think I resist artist dates because I just wanna have fun at home--and I did.

3. I didn't feel much synchronicity last week. I'll think about that one.

4. Other significant issues were:

While reading Hilda's blog last week, Sophie commented, "… I know the quality of my life is better when I'm doing [morning notes]," which really shouted to me. The night before, as part of Task #1 I began reading my morning notes that I started writing in early October. Though I read only a few weeks' worth, I was absolutely struck by how unhappy I was, such a short time ago. Genuinely discouraged about ever having a creative life, about ever creating more order in my physical and emotional space, about living with a grumpy husband, about my daughters' respective futures. I was miserable: angry and depressed.

Three months later, the synchronicity gods have smiled on my children (one passes the bar exam and falls in love, making her return to Tennessee seem Providential; the other looks forward to a new baby and her husband's new career as a teacher). The Artist's Way had nothing to do with those things, and neither did I. That was hard work and grand good fortune. But besides all that synchronicity in their lives, I have incorporated a lot of good synchronicity into my own.

I now have a longed-for room dedicated to my creative pursuits for the first time in my life. The grumpy husband, once getting on board with helping me create a studio, has been a big help--even an encouragement--in what I'm doing. I'm in turn appreciative and less resentful, finding enjoyment in my new focus, and a heck of a lot more fun to be around.

I have engaged in an interior dialog that was long overdue.

I have challenged myself technically by creating a blog, which in turn has introduced me to a fascinating bunch of artists (take a bow here, ladies).

I've acquainted myself with my artist child through making a collage, actually sketching (!) pictures, using my camera freely and frequently.

--in short, a lot of discovery leading to a lot of enjoyment of life.

Sophie makes me wonder if the journaling is a bigger part of this improved quality of life than I realized. Just when I thought the morning notes were something of a chore, even as much as I enjoy writing, I think I'll hang with 'em a little longer.


I love the contribution of every person in this group! You give me ways of looking at things, or a fresh approach to something that I could never come up with on my own.

8 comments:

sophie said...

Perhaps the journalling--whenever we do it--helps us see the good and bad in our life. Focusing on what makes us unhappy may be the first step toward fixing it ... giving voice to the happy synchronicities in life may make us appreciate them even more.

Of course, it could just be one big coincidence :-)

Jane Ann said...

Funny girl!

Tracey said...

Like you, I'm starting to find less and less to relate to with Julia. With the first half, the light bulb was not only going off, it was just burning almost non-stop! Now...maybe it's burnt out? ;o)

It's good to hear how things have come back around for you...and the importance of recognizing it. That's a biggie that so many people miss. Good job!

Cathy said...

Like you, I feel that the Artist Way and my way are going in different directions. I do see the value of the morning pages and the Artist Date. And spending an entire rainy day in a studio doing what you love sounds like a great artist date to me.

Suze said...

There are no coincidences!!!

I kinda feel the same way about relating to the essays...and some of the tasks downright irritate me (this week's 'Deadlies' for example!)...but there seems to be nuggets in each week that are relevant..I just don't think I am as blocked as she would like to me to assume I am...

I am finding I am way more energized about 'art' in general - I think the focusing on it is definately working to stimulate the process...

I do my 'morning pages' whenever I get to them...sometimes I have 'fractured' pages - a bit in the morning and a bit in the evening. I figure as long as I get 'em done before 12 midnight, it counts for that day!

Jane Ann said...

Well, Suze, I think that's it right there: the focus on art in general is stimulating us. I'm over a lot of the Julia philosophy, but I have to say I've really enjoyed lots of the tasks.

Debra Dixon said...

I agree with y'all about Julia's nagging. I am (for the most part) done with her and the book. I haven't had any trouble this past year being creative or getting any work done so I obviously wasn't blocked! But, I enjoy you gals & that is worth the book study.

P.S. The word verification for this message is orrgy *snicker*

Jane Ann said...

I'll see the study through to the bitter end, just because I can't add yet another UFO to my list! But I am in closure mode, because lately my evening notes have taken a summing-up tone--what I've gotten from the experience and what I've discarded.