Saturday, November 12, 2005

Week 2 - Task #6

(Right: Assuming the Morning Notes Position)

I didn't get much out of the tasks this week, but I think that is my fault. My "10 Tiny Things I Would Like to Change" looks more like a to-do list (finish my ironing??), and I realized belatedly I think Julia was really talking about changes, not chores. And my #10, "Go to Amsterdam" wouldn't exactly be tiny, would it?

The protected circle and 5 major activities (task #2) didn't reveal anything. #3, "20 Things I Like to Do" didn't seem too interesting even to me, and I managed to do only 6 of them. #7, the Life Pie, looked pretty much like the one I drew 3 weeks ago, so there's not much progress there. That's one I could certainly improve.

That pretty much leaves #6 as the task I can share here.

These are 5 other lives I've thought about living (Week 1):
1. Librarian (really--I love books and quiet and I'm a little OCD about organization--think of the Dewey Decimal System!)
2. Clinical Social Worker (ya know what they say--shrinks are shrinks 'cause they're tryin' to fix themselves)
3. Journalist (obvious)
4. Home Builder (not so different from my interior design career, but I like the technical/structural aspects of construction)
5. Academic - student and teacher (I'm always curious and when I've taught in the past, I learned more than my students, which is something I think most teachers agree on)

Additional 5 lives added (Week 2):
1. Wedding Planner (I know; talk about your crazymakers! But I adored my daughter's wedding and she was so sweet and he was so dear. I kept "planning" after it was over--I have a large collection of exquisite books on gorgeous weddings.)
2. Floral Designer (see #1. One of my favorite movies is "Four Weddings and a Funeral" just because I love the floral designs.)
3. Pastry Chef
4. Professional Genealogist (I love the hunt and it would be interesting to help people find the keys to their pasts. Also, see #1, Week 1.)
5. Editor

It's odd that Editor was the last thing that occurred to me, because I've wished I could work in editing for a long time. One of the books I bought today is Eats, Shoots and Leaves, a funny British bestseller on the abysmal grammar and punctuation in common use today. (The title comes from a sign over the panda cage at a zoo that should have read "Eats Shoots and Leaves" but whose meaning is comically altered by the addition of a comma.) The book pokes fun at us compulsive types who actually hold a pen when we read so we can correct the books. (Have you spotted the typos so far in The Artist's Way? Look on pp. 32, 34, 46. That's the kind of lunacy that passes for fun at my house!)

I must not be very original because I realized after reading these lists that I have pretty much done a bit of all of them. Maybe that's why I put them down--I knew I enjoyed them.

3 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

This morning when I thoroughly peppered the eggs (because the fine ground shaker has huge holes), I wanted to be a package designer. Geesh.

Suze said...

LOL...I am always catching boo boos in books (or in computer programs!) too...I actually serve as first editor for my DH when he writes before he sends stuff off to the publisher...I'll have to keep editor in mind if she asks us to add to that list!!

by the by, check pg 56...

Jane Ann said...

OMG! A fellow "Inner Stickler" (Lynn Truss's name for us frustrated grammarians). How does one "ride a bide"? That's just sloppy proofreading, not really poor grammar, but enough to send us picky readers to our pens. Funny book--you'd probably recognize yourself.