Friday, July 21, 2006

What I Did on My Summer Vacation....

… I became Mam, Squared! My second grandchild, first grandson, joined our family 10 days ago. Some of you know the anticipated arrival of the first male in my family in 99 years had already caused a stir. Last week at a dinner party, I related this long dry spell to a friend who said, "What's wrong with your genes?" I told him, "I don't know. Up 'til now, they've been perfect." My favorite joke when describing my female clan to others has been, "Yeah, the only way men get into my family is by marriage … and we don't always let 'em stay." Now the old joke will be laid to rest and we will be singing the praises of little Campbell throughout the land. I suspect one would think our harem has just witnessed the Second Coming! What fun we are going to have.

My daughter is doing very well; little Ella is finding her way to the role of Big Sister. Her first words to Campbell were a whispered, "Don't be scared." Even though my heart was brimming, I was inclined to say, "Be afraid; be very afraid." She will have him dressed in costumes, parading him around like a pet pony, and he will be helpless to resist her powerful influence!

My 81-year-old mother, who has rocked four daughters, four granddaughters, and one great-granddaughter, experienced rocking a little newborn boy for the first time yesterday.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Crazy as we've always been about the girls, we've been easy marks for this little guy. He is a darling already. He weighed in at 8 pounds, 8 ounces, at least a pound of that in each fat little cheek. This Campbell Kid is m-mm, good!

2 comments:

Jane Ann said...

Thanks, Gemia. It got me too--I choke a little when I think of it. I think his biggest defender just stepped forward.

jenclair said...

Love the name! And he is certainly beautiful... :)