Monday, November 21, 2005

Artisan or Artist?

The quality of life is in proportion, always, to the capacity for delight. The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention. Julia Cameron
(A delightful window I pass on my way home sometimes--LOVE having my camera with me!)
Artisan or Artist?
I recently moved my home and office dictionaries off their shelves, and placed them next to my computer monitors to make them more accessible. For me this Artist's Way journey is one of defining/refining how I perceive myself (and hence, how I wish to be perceived). Sometimes the dictionary aids subtle distinctions in my thoughts.

As I journaled this morning I wrote about this group and our synergy, how distinct personalities and creators are emerging from the blogs, and sharing our approaches with each other is enlightening. But I caught myself actually writing these words:

"It is an eclectic and intelligent group. Some are genuine artists (hmm, where did that judgment come from?), and some seem like me: drawn to the graphic arts more as artisans than artists."

Seeing that in blue and yellow (I write on legal pads—what else?) drove me to the dictionary for the precise distinction between artist and artisan:

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary:
artisan – one (as a carpenter, plumber, or tailor) trained to manual dexterity or skill in a trade; broadly: a skilled worker.
artist – 1 a: one who professes and practices an imaginative art b: a person skilled in one of the fine arts… [Interestingly, definition number 4 is: "one who is adept at deception"! Guess she practices an "imaginary" art.]

After learning the distinction, I saw what a loaded statement I had written. Am I refusing to see myself as an artist? Why the resistance? Is this self-deprecation or dismissive of what I (and some of you) do? And so on.

I am a new quilter, still learning fundamentals; trying on different styles, diverse color approaches (scrap? aged-looking? bright and busy?); exploring the enormous breadth of the sewing arts. ("Baby steps.") I am not yet, and may never choose to be, an art quilter. Does that mean my traditional quilts can't be artistic? Gosh, I hope not.

I admitted to myself when I embarked on this new path three years ago that I would not likely achieve great things at my age and stage in life. But I dedicated myself, now that I have the time and money, to becoming the best heirloom sewer and best quilter I can be before my time is up.

While I agree with Julia Cameron that saying "I'm okay" with something implies a loss, I don't feel I have "settled" or lowered my sights when I say "I'm okay with being an artisan rather than an artist." To do a beautiful thing poorly, prevents it from being beautiful in my eyes. There is beauty in striving for perfection. And delight in discovering an essentially human (imperfect) interpretation. Artisan suits me fine—for now.

17 comments:

Pat/SWquilter said...

Very profound entry today, Jane Ann! I think a more traditional quilt can be a work of art - and like you, I'm not sure I'll ever be an "art quilter" in the truest sense. Maybe that's been part of my problem all along with the "discovering" or "recovering" my creative self - that I see myself more as an artisan than an artist? Makes me wonder how far the rest of this AW journey will take me -- beyond my own expectations perhaps?

Jane Ann said...

Hmm, you may be right, Pat. While I'm working on becoming a true artisan in a field that is new to me, I might end up surpassing my own standards, going all the way to artisthood!

I guess when Debra took some flack last week for not being a "traditional" enough quilter (or whatEVER the Maverick Quilters' criteria are), I started thinking about art quilters vs. traditional quilters, and I don't see why it has to be either/or. Why can't they each be both (say, what?)! Seems to me a strange and counterproductive argument for all parties.

Thanks for your comments. I always appreciate your perspective.

sophie said...

Today I heard that the LA Contemporary Art Museum has some of their quilts online. I didn't look at the whole collection, but the ones I saw when I took a peek at this modern art museum's web site were very traditional quilts--not our idea of "art quilts," but LACMA calls them art.

sophie said...

Grrr ... dyslexic moment--make that the LA Contemporary Museum of Art.

Pat/SWquilter said...

"Why can't we all just get along?!" LOL! I hear you, but some people just live to argue.

Jane Ann said...

Pat, you are too funny! Rodney King's line ran through my head too when I wrote that. Living amongst a pack of lawyers as I do, I'm used to a lot of argument over nothing (with apologies to Gemia!) ;-)

Ooh, Sophie, thanks for the tip. I'll go right there!

Rian said...

Another ponderous post, Jane Ann. You never fail to get me to thinking. Artist or artisan, it's all making art, whether it be by trade, craft, or creativity, whether it's a cabinet or an etching, or whether it's a bed quilt or an art quilt, it is still a creation from the soul and it's still art.

Pat/SWquilter said...

"Living amongst a pack of lawyers as I do, I'm used to a lot of argument over nothing (with apologies to Gemia!) ;-)"

Ditto! I will have been with this law firm 16 years this coming January and, at this point, don't think there's much I could have missed about the devil's advocate role. If you say black, I say white, if you think sunshine, I see rain -- and on, and on, ad infinitum!

Debra Dixon said...

There used to be a boiling argument about art vs. craft (as in fine craft) and quilts were often put into the fine craft division but not the art division. I don't know if that is still a problem.

I keep thinking about your statements that you want to be a fine seamstress. I was schooled in sewing & I want to relax! I love the spontaneous quilts that happen when the rules are broken. It is taking me close to 20 years to let go of the rules.

That's women: always wanting what we can't have. . . .

Debra Dixon said...

I absolutely love this window display! Thanks for having your camera ready!!

Jane Ann said...

Thank everyone for their comments. I know this is an old argument (and a pointless one), but newbies like me, as well as the contentious among us, keep digging it up, I guess. Ordinarily I don't like labels. These were thoughts that came to me as I try to define myself, and out of response to Debra's absurd treatment last week.

As for the window display, Debra, I couldn't do it justice. I stopped to pick up some ribbon to finish DGD's birthday dress (pics to follow), after dark, on the way home from work. The window absolutely glowed like jewels in the dark. It is Depression era and the fabrics are pretty mundane. It's the stitching on it that rocks. Thank YOU for nudging me to be camera-ready at all times. I'm having fun with it.

Cathy said...

very interesting entry. I definately got me thinking. Like you I am new to quilting and lean towards the traditional quilts at this point. But whether I am called an Artisan or an Artist matters much less than whether I am learning and improving.

Helen said...

Hi Jane Ann,
Helen here from the Isle of Lewis (scotland):))
I've come to quilting only recently and have so much respect for heirloom quilters. The skills are amazing! My journey to my creative home of textiles has taken me through many art forms, paint, ceramics, interiors, sculpture, and I was pursuaded adopt the title of "artist" about 10 years ago, somewhat reluctantly. I find this whole artist/artizan thing really interesting as people put me on the "artist" side now, but I can truely only find one difference in me than when I was labeled as "into crafts". That is a lack of fear to experiment with anything to make something. I used to think I had to learn how... now I just have a go, gathering the techincal skills as and when required. Does that make sense?

Jane Ann said...

Perfect sense, Helen. You and Debra learned all the rules and now you enjoy bypassing them. I understand that, but I want to learn the rules first so that I will know when I'm breaking them. I also think when a simple thing (like a quilt) is done with exceptional craftsmanship, color selection (think of Kaffe Fassett), or embellishment, that's when it crosses the line from craft to art. Think of some of the wonderful pieces done by the women of Gee's Bend, Alabama. They weren't made as art pieces, but their naivete sort of made them the Grandma Moses-es (What's plural of Moses??) of the quilt world. It's all interesting and inspiring--I can certainly appreciate someone's work without necessarily wanting to do it myself.

Must get out my maps--don't know where the Isle of Lewis is. If you read my posts you know I am a Scot wannabe! But maybe only during the summer months! Are you a native?

Tracey said...

Oh wow. I *love* that pic. Thank you for sharing.

And, just for the record...we're ALL artists girls. No matter what we make and no matter what other people care to label it....we're artists. Debra says so too! :oP LOL! Love that gal!

Pat/SWquilter said...

I took a class from Kaffe Fassett a little over a year ago and it was wonderful! We didn't sew at all, just worked on a design wall, and it was wonderful to see his input into each of our creations. I don't think he was particularly impressed with what I had done, but the sashing fabric that he chose for my blocks was fabulous - really gave it a wonderful ethnic feel and brightened the whole thing up tremendously. It's all still attached to the design wall unfortunately, but sometime I hope to finish it as a quilt for my own bed. Seems like I don't often get to keep a quilt for myself (now whose fault is that?!), but this one will definitely be mind.

Jane Ann said...

Mmm, envy here. I would have loved taking a class from him.